A Faded Glory – Stratford Motive Power Shops – Grand Trunk Railway (1873-1964)

Looming over the edge of the downtown, the old Stratford Motive Shops has been a source of controversy and reminder of the city's rich heritage for many years with the railroad. These are the surviving remains of the largest railroad maintenance yards in Ontario, if not Canada and are now only a shadow of their former glory. Metal siding hangs off the concrete superstructure; empty windows stare out darkly. On one of the first visits I made to Stratford on my own, I was immediately drawn to this ancient giant and was even granted a single glimpse into the darkness but never made it inside (legally or illegally).

While not the most interesting angle it was the only one that I could get easily and safely.
Graflex Crown Graphic - Fuji Fujinon-W 1:5.6/125 - Ilford HP5+ @ ASA-200 - Pyrocat-HD (1+1+100) 9:00 @ 20C

As I mentioned last week, the railroad arrived in Stratford in 1856 with Grand Trunk and Buffalo & Lake Huron running their lines through the town within a couple of months of each other. Within a decade, Grand Trunk had taken over the entire Buffalo & Lake Huron line. This put Stratford in a unique position as a Junction point between the two lines. As Grand Trunk began looking for space to build a new western maintenance yard, the story goes that Herbert Roberts, the manager for locomotive maintenance in Grand Trunk, attended dinner at T.M. Daily's house, Daily being the mayor of Stratford, was attempting to attract Grand Trunk to the town. Roberts fell for Daily's daughter, and the two were married. In 1871 ground broke on the new Motive Power Shops in Stratford. While there's no concrete connection between Robert's becoming Daily's son-in-law and picking the town for the unique shops, it is a local urban myth. The new shops opened in 1873 on a nineteen-acre site that included a significant rail yard near the new station. The shops had a vast locomotive shop, powerhouse, roundhouse, turntable, machine shops and worker housing. Grand Trunk closed smaller shops, redirecting the personnel to Stratford. The famous overnight jump allowed Stratford incorporation as a city. The first task for the new shops was to begin the long process of regauging the entire locomotive fleet from Provincial to Standard Gauge. The shops provided both jobs and job training, all of them good Union jobs. This influx of workers and good training opened up a new set of skilled artisans many would start the furniture industry in Stratford. Through the 1880s, Grand Trunk began a series of expansions mainly by purchasing competing railways, Great Western, North & North-Western among the largest two purchases. To help cushion the cost of these purchases, Grand Trunk began strategically closing down the larger maintenance shops of these other operators, moving talent and equipment to Stratford. The influx required significant renovations and expansions at Stratford in 1889.

You can see where the metal siding is starting to peel away.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8DPart of the older section of the Motive Power Shops.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8D

When Charles Hayes took over as President in 1896, he kicked off a series of modernisations across the entire network. Grand Trunk targetted their two largest shops, Stratford and the one in Battle Creek, Michigan. At Stratford, the new shops took shape around the existing locomotive shops, other buildings were torn down and replaced. One new building was a Tender Shop which opened in 1903, and in 1909 the new Motive Power Shops were completed. Charles Hayes himself was present for the opening ceremonies. Further expansions took place through the 1910s. In their final form, the locomotive shops alone took up 185,000 square feet. Electric cranes could lift the largest locomotives in the Grand Trunk fleet. Staff on-site could conduct complete rebuilds of even the worst locomotives. The shops continued to employ thousands with solid Union positions, and often these jobs were generational, with three generations of workers being in the employ of the Railroad. When Canadian National took over in 1923, they gained the largest motive power shops in Canada staffed by a highly-skilled workforce. The shops could even support the new Northern type locomotives starting to roll out of the Montreal Locomotive Works and even outstripped the expanded Spadina Yards in Toronto. Workers here would join other Unionized workers in the Stratford General Strik of 1931. By the post-war era, Canadian National had started the long process of diesel-electric as their primary motive power and large shops like Stratford were no longer needed. Through the second half of the 1950s, the shops slowly shut down, and among their final tasks were preparing several Northern locomotives for service as tourist trains. The shops closed in 1964.

Ex-CN 6213 is one of the final Northern Locomotives to receive a full refit at the Stratford Motive Power Shops.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8DA peek inside back in 2009 sadly I could not fit through the hole with all my winter gear on.
Nikon D300 - AF-S Nikkor 17-55mm 1:2.8G DX

Following the closure, most of the railway buildings were demolished, including the roundhouse, tender shops, machine shops, and freight sheds. The one building that proved challenging to destroy was the actual locomotive shops. The economic impact on the city was far worse; At the same time, some employees were moved to other maintenance facilities, including the Warren Street Shops in Fort Erie, many were packaged out. Ohio based company Cooper-Bessmer established a Canadian branch of their firm using the old locomotive shops as it provided an excellent spot for the manufacture of industrial compressor engines. Many began referring to the old shops as the Cooper Site, which I initially knew for the site. While the company did bring some jobs back to the city, it remained a far cry from what the site employed. Cooper-Besser pulled out in 1984, closing the area for good. The site became a popular spot for urban explorers. However, 2003 destroyed much of the interior. At this point, the city purchased the area and began to secure the location and entertain adaptive reuse for the white elephant in their inventory. Proposals have ranged from a museum to a parking garage. The University of Waterloo looked at making use of the building but built a new structure nearby. Today the surviving Motive shops remain under constant threat of demolition despite ongoing attempts to preserve the ruins.

#afadedglory #canada #canadiannational #coopersite #crowngraphic #grandtrunk #ilfordhp5 #infrastructure #nikond300 #nikond750 #ontario #pyrocathd #railroad #railway #stratford #stratfordmotivepowershops

A Faded Glory - Stratford Motive Power Shops - Grand Trunk Railway (1873-1964)

Sitting as an ancient giant at the edge of the downtown, the 1906 locomotive shops are the only surviving reminder of Ontario's largest railway maintenance yard.

Alex Luyckx | Blog

A Faded Glory – Stratford – Grand Trunk Railway (1913-Present)

The city of Stratford is home to some of my favourite buildings in Ontario, home to a tonne of 19th Century architecture. Still, the city's original growth is not thanks to the tourism industry but rather the railroad. However, you would not know that today, as the city's grand station sits outside the downtown but shows how important the town was to the railroad.

It took me a bit to find the right spot to photograph the station. On the narrow street it was hard to get the best angle.
Graflex Crown Graphic - Fuji Fujinon-W 1:5.6/125 - Ilford HP5+ @ ASA-200 - Pyrocat-HD (1+1+100) 9:00 @ 20C

In 1856 within two months of each other, two railroads crossed their lines at the seat of Huron County, the town of Stratford. Coming from the east, Grand Trunk's push westward and from the south Buffalo & Lake Huron heading towards Goderich. The idea of a single station to serve both lines didn't even cross the minds of the rail operators—each building their stations. The Grand Trunk station followed the Carpenter Gothic style, which survives at Doon Heritage Village from Petersburg, Ontario. By 1864 the entire Buffalo & Lake Huron line had been absorbed into Grand Trunk, which raised the importance of Stratford as a junction between the two lines. With the construction of a new Motive Power Shops, Grand Trunk planned a new station for the city. Moving over operations to the Buffalo & Lake Huron Station, the second one for the operator was completed in 1861. The new station opened in 1873, a grand wooden station that followed a Gothic Revival style with a two-storey central section with single-storey wings on either side. The new station sat where the parking lot west of the current station is located. The second floor housed the offices for the Station Master and the Yard Master, while the first floor was occupied by the ticket office, telegraph operator bay. One wing houses the ladies and family waiting room along with the men's smoking room. The other wing housed the freight and baggage rooms. As the 19th Century came to a close and Stratford potentially became a stop on the new Canadian Northern Railway, a new Union Station was planned and presented in 1903 as part of the ongoing modernisation program for the operator.

Having the Express Building separate from the main station seemed a popular choice in the 20th Century. Today it houses a commercial lease space.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8DOne of the few surviving original doors from the station.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8D

The plans changed when in 1906, Canadian Northern chose an alternate route; Grand Trunk planned a far smaller station for Stratford as a result. While disappointed that Stratford would not be housing the western Union Station, the city could have little about the change having no real influence or control over what the railroad decided. A new smaller station was presented in 1910, far from the majestic stations being planned for Guelph and completed in Brantford earlier in the century. The new station followed the Prarie Style coming out of Chicago and popularised by Frank Lloyd Wright. However, a Gothic Revival tower embellished the main entrance. Red bricks were provided by the Milton Brick Works and used on the station's exterior. At two stories, the station looked similar to the 1871 station but lacked the two wings. The first floor included a ticket office and telegraph operator bay, a general waiting room and a separate men's smoking room. There were also separate washrooms for men and women. A small kitchen and lunch counter was installed, and a separate express and baggage office was connected by a breezeway. The second floor contained the station master and yardmaster offices. The public spaces were handsomely decorated. With oak benches and wainscoting. Terrazo floors and electric lighting. The new station opened in 1913, Charles Hayes planned to attend the opening, but he never returned from England, sinking aboard the RMS Titanic. When Canadian National took over operations in 1923, operations at Stratford continued without interruption.

You can still see the shadows of the original Grand Trunk sign behind the modern letters.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8DWhile greatly reduced the CN yards behind the station continue to operate. The day I was there I was treated to seeing a pair of GP40-2LW locomotives, CN 9449 and CN 9639.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8D

The 1960s brought a great deal of change to the railroad in Stratford. When the motive power shops closed in 1964, Canadian National also made several changes to the station. The biggest was removing the Gothic tower at the entrance and the exterior painted in a grey colour with new Canadian National signage installed. The first-floor lunchroom and kitchen were closed and converted into offices for the rail yard, and an employee lunchroom and kitchen were installed on the second floor. The entire waiting room was covered in wooden panelling. When Canadian National moved all their passenger services over to VIA, the Stratford Station was among those assets transferred over to VIA in 1978. VIA conducted a significant overhaul of the station's interior in 1989. Gutting the second floor, they transformed it into new offices for the Victorian Order of Nurses, installed a separate staircase and entrance to the outside, removing the smoking room in the process. The women's washrooms were expanded, and new men's washrooms were installed to accommodate handicap access which took over the old yard office on the first floor. The wooden panelling was removed and painted; the oak benches were replaced with modern plastic chairs. Aluminium doors and windows replaced the original wooden doors and windows. The station received local heritage status in 1988 and Federal heritage status in 1993. This allowed the exterior paint stripped and the actual brick restored. Today the station operates as an uncrewed VIA station running four trains daily. While the interior lacks the historic charm, the exterior provides a glimpse at the last-ditch efforts of Grand Trunk to at least show Canada they were still a viable railway operator.

#afadedglory #canada #canadiannational #crowngraphic #grandtrunk #ilfordhp5 #infrastructure #nikond750 #ontario #pyrocathd #railroad #railway #stratford #trainstation #viarail

A Faded Glory - Stratford - Grand Trunk Railway (1913-Present)

Sitting outside the downtown of Stratford sits a large brick train station; while still in use, the signage tells that it once was a major station on the mighty Grand Trunk line.

Alex Luyckx | Blog

A Faded Glory – Bridge Street Station – Great Western Railway (1879-Present)

I remember the first time I visited the Bridge Street Station in Niagara Falls, not far from the glitz and crowds of the tourist-packed falls area. There sits on a quiet side street off the old downtown of Queen Street surrounded by run-down buildings sits the last remaining train stations in Ontario that is credited to the Great Western Railway.

The beautiful Gothic stylings are clearly on display.
Graflex Crown Graphic - Fuji Fujinon-W 1:5.6/125 - Ilford HP5+ @ ASA-200 - Pyrocat-HD (1+1+100) 9:00 @ 20C

The importance of the train station in Niagara Falls is thanks to the Niagara Suspension Bridge. The Great Western Railway completed its mainline in 1854 with great fanfare in Hamilton, Ontario, where its main headquarters and rail yard were located. But to cross the Niagara River, trains had to be rerouted down the Niagara Escarpment and loaded onto rail ferries at Queenston to move the cars into the United States. Until 1855 when the world's first railroad suspension bridge, the Niagara Suspension Bridge, saw completion. An engineering marvel of the time, it served a single track on the top deck while pedestrian and horse-drawn traffic on a lower tier. Being on a terminus, Great Western completed a large wooden station known locally as Clifton Depot. In addition to that, Great Western constructed a large marshalling and traffic yard with freight sheds and a roundhouse nearby. The large station was built to a similar station completed in Hamilton, Ontario, with separate men's and ladies waiting rooms. A station master's office, a telegraph operator's bay, and a large baggage room. The station also featured a full-service restaurant and dining room operated by a local family, known as the Great Western. In 1879 disaster struck, and the entire station was destroyed by fire.

Taking a closer look at the center section of the station, which remains the focus of most traffic today.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8DWhile these doors probably aren't used, they show off the Gothic Revival styles of the doors and windows of the station.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8D

Undaunted and riding high on financial stability Great Western moved quickly to replace the station. Joseph Hobson, the railway's chief engineer and architect, designed a new station to replace the original wooden station. The new station used the Victorian Gothic style with a brick exterior. The new station featured two-storey centre sections with single storey west and east wings. The station's roof used a unique jerkinhead style, a combination of hip and gabled styles. Inside the centre, the section contained a round ticket office with separate mens' and ladies' waiting rooms. The second floor held the telegraph operator's bay and station offices. The east wing contained the new Great Western Restaurant, while the west wing contained the freight offices. It quickly became known as the most prestigious station on the Great Western Railway and earned Joseph Hobson a name. Grand Trunk gladly continued to operate the station when they purchased the entire Great Western Railway in 1882. The only change was renaming the restaurant to The Grand Trunk. The restaurant was forced to close in 1909. Canadian National took over the station in 1923. By this point, the station had started to show its age, and it received restoration work in 1939 in preparation for the Royal Tour. King George VI and Queen Elizabeth (The Queen Mother) disembarked at the Bridge Street Station during the tour.

Looking out towards the bridge crossing from the Bridge Street Station.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8DToday the Whirlpool Bridge (1896) stands in replacement of the original Niagara Suspension Bridge and still served by the original lines today.
Mamiya m645 - Mamiya-Sekor C 45mm 1:2.8 N - Ilford FP4+ @ ASA-100 - Kodak D-23 (Stock) 6:00 @ 20C

With a sharp decline in passenger traffic by the mid-century, Canadian National began cutting passenger services. The separate waiting rooms were combined, and many structures designed to support steam locomotives fell in the 1960s as diesel motive power took over. Surprisingly the station never got a paint job to railroad red. Instead, Canadian National painted it a grey colour in 1967; they also abandoned and closed the second story chopping eighty feet off the western wing. A similar demolition planned for 1976 stayed thanks to a local heritage designation. When Canadian National turned over passenger service to the newly created VIA Rail in 1978, the Bridge Street station was also turned over to the new Crown Corporation. While the station remained untouched, a Federal heritage designation in 1999 freed up funds to completely restore the station's exterior. The grey paint was stripped away, and the original red brick exterior was restored. GO Trains have called on the station since 2009, and VIA removed all staff in 2012. Today the station remains an automated location with no physical staff on site. It still stands as a testament to the Great Western and Joseph Hobson. Make sure to watch your wallet, however, in the area.

#afadedglory #canada #canadianhistory #canadiannationalrailway #crowngraphic #grandtrunkrailway #greatwesternrailway #ilfordfp4 #ilfordhp5 #infrastruture #kodakd23 #mamiyam645 #niagarafalls #niagarasuspensionbridge #nikond750 #ontario #pyrocathd #railroad #railway #trainstation #viarail

A Faded Glory - Bridge Street Station - Great Western Railway (1879-Present)

Standing tall, a Gothic Revival Station in a seedier part of Niagara Falls well off the tourist routes, the Bridge Street Station is the only station that survives from the Great Western Railway and remains in operation today.

Alex Luyckx | Blog

A Faded Glory – Niagara-On-The-Lake – Niagara, St Catharine’s, & Toronto Railway (1913-1960)

But the town's position as a tourist destination is relatively recent in the region's history. While the history of Niagara-On-The-Lake reaches back to the original European settlement of Upper Canada, its connection to the railway also dates back to the early days of the railroad in Ontario. And that is no more shown by a strange-looking coffee shop a little bit off the main street.

Not only does it look good, the coffee they serve is excellent!
Graflex Crown Graphic - Nikon Nikkor-W 1:5.6/180 - Ilford HP5+ @ ASA-200 - Pyrocat-HD (1+1+100) 9:00 @ 20C

The presence of the Welland Canal had helped intertwine the communities of the Niagara Region. The growth of agriculture and industry combined with marine traffic had created a network of urban communities. A means to move people quickly between their homes and employment came in the form of interurban railways. Since the late 1880s, the primary means of driving these interurban railways was electricity rather than steam. The reason is the abundant hydroelectric generation source from the Second Welland Canal, which had been relegated to small regional canals and electrical generation after the Third Canal opened. In 1899 a group of American investors purchased a series of small and nearly bankrupt interurban lines and combined them into the Niagara, St. Catharines & Toronto Railway. By 1908 the operator returned to Canadian ownership when noted investors and railway developers William Mackenzie and Donald Mann. Both were the men behind the growing Canadian Northern Railway making a bid at building another transcontinental railway. Mackenzie and Mann envisioned extending the line out to Hamilton and Toronto using hydro right-of-ways to lay their tracks with the blessing of Adam Beck. He had been promoting the use of electricity to drive railways. However, this plan never materialised. But the line did continue to expand. By the end of the first decade of the 20th Century, it served much of the Niagara Region. Lines running along with the significant communities of the Welland Canal with branches out to Niagara Falls and the Short Hills Region.

Detail on the historical designation plaque.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8DThe tower detail is something added on later in the old station's life.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8D

By 1913 the newest branch line opened, which served communities between St. Catharines and Niagara-On-The-Lake, allowing for passenger and freight services and banked on increased local and tourist traffic. The arrival of the new line was not the first time the railroad had arrived in Niagara-On-The-Lake. The new line ran parallel to the Ontario & Erie Railway line, establishing a small turntable and dock at the river's edge in 1854. Niagara, St. Catharines & Toronto would construct their passenger station on King Street at the terminus of their line. The station followed the popular Queen Anne Revival style and was built from wood using a board and batten technique. The station was a small, simple design with a general waiting room, baggage room and a station master's office with a ticket window and telegrapher bay—fine tiled floors with high wooden wainscoting, a single stove to proved heat in the winter. The increase in traffic allowed the operator to purchase 130 new cars for their interurban fleet. Of course, by 1918, Canadian Northern had been absorbed and assigned to manage Canadian Government Railways, which in 1923 became Canadian National Railways. Under Canadian National, all interurban lines that were absorbed were spun off into a separate corporate entity, Canadian National Electric Railway. But the age of the interurban was starting to come to a close with the introduction and availability, especially among the wealthy of personal automobiles and improvements to roads through Ontario. The market crash of 1929 saw Canadian National contract much of its operations, and one of the first lines was that of St. Catharines to Niagara-On-The-Lake, with passenger services ceasing in 1931. However, the old station remained in railway operations to continue using the line for freight services. There's a good chance the station received its railroad red paint job in the 1950s. But by 1957, the entire network stopped operations, and Canadian National Electric Railways was reabsorbed into Canadian National. Niagara, St. Catharines & Toronto being the last interurban line to cease operations in Ontario.

A better view showing off the restored colours of the station.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8DIt's hard to imagine that steam trains once rolled through through this intersection past the Prince of Wales Hotel.
Nikon D750 - AF Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4D

As tourism became the primary economic driver of Niagara-On-The-Lake, the old interurban station did not remain vacant for long as Canadian National had pulled up the tracks and allowed King Street to remain primarily for automobile and pedestrian traffic the station would become a commercial building. While I'm unsure when the first shop opened, the owners would retain the red railroad and raise the station to construct a basement underneath. By the 1980s, the original windows and doors had been replaced with modern fixtures, and a Candy shoppe occupied the structure for much of the late 20th Century. In 2010 a new owner acquired the building; rather than allow it to remain in a modern form, they took it upon themselves to restore the building to as close to the 1913 appearance as they could. The doors and windows were replaced with modern replicas, the exterior repainted to match the Niagara, St. Catharines & Toronto livery, and the interior refurbished. The effort took two years, but in 2012 the old station reopened as a Balzac's Coffee Shop. While there is little left of the Niagara, St. Catharines & Toronto Railway, not even the Halton Radial Railway Museum has rolling stock from the line. All the tracks have been pulled up, the Niagara-On-The-Lake station plus minor surviving artefacts recount this once primary transportation method in the region. And Balzac's serves both excellent coffee and treats and is well worth a stop to admire the restoration effort that went into the station.

#afadedglory #canada #canadianhistory #canadiannationalelectricrailway #canadiannationalrailway #commuter #crowngraphic #ilfordhp5 #infrastructure #interurban #niagaratorontorailway #niagaraonthelake #nikond750 #ontario #pyrocathd #railroad #railway #stcatharines

A Faded Glory - Niagara-On-The-Lake - Niagara, St Catharine's, & Toronto Railway (1913-1960)

While today it's a great spot for coffee, the Niagara-On-The-Lake Balzac's Coffee shop once served tourists through Ontario's longest operating electric railway.

Alex Luyckx | Blog

A Faded Glory – Ridgeway – Grand Trunk Railway (1900-1975)

Sitting as the main building at the Fort Erie Railway Station, the former station that once served the village of Ridgeway is a prime example of Grand Trunk's plan to modernise the railway at the start of the 20th Century. It is also interesting that a village as small as Ridgeway would warrant such a large station.

The size of the Ridgeway Station certainly surprised me having visited the community of Ridgeway before.
Graflex Crown Graphic - Nikon Nikkor-W 1:5.6/180 - Ilford HP5+ @ ASA-200 - Pyrocat-HD (1+1+100) 9:00 @ 20C

The railway first came to Ridgeway thanks to Brantford, Hamilton and the Great Western Railway. As a result, the Buffalo, Brantford & Goderich Railway, which eventually became the Buffalo & Lake Huron Railway despite its financial instability through the first half of the 1850s, finally reached Paris, Ontario in 1856, heading further along to Goderich. Buffalo & Lake Huron would start constructing stations in 1855; these were simple wooden structures that were more shelters than a modern train station. While I'm unsure if such a station had been built at Ridgeway, the first station I could confirm was named for the township in which Ridgeway was located and carried the name Bertie Station and was completed in 1864 by Grand Trunk Railway. Grand Trunk by 1864 had taken over the entire Buffalo & Lake Huron network to prevent the line from falling into American hands or disappearing entirely. Again, this first station would be a simple shed or barn-like station built in board and batten construction, located in the downtown of Ridgeway on Ridge Road between Hibberd and Disher. It contained a general waiting room, baggage room and a station master's office with a ticket window and telegrapher bay. The station's only notable point took place in July 1866 when the combined Canadian Militia force arrived before marching north to meet a body of Fenian invaders and was forced to retreat to the station and departed.

Here you can see the art glass decoration on the waiting room windows.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8DThe telegraph tower and semaphor traffic signals.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8D

By the end of the 19th Century, much of the area had become a popular spot for tourists, especially the draw of the resorts and beaches of Crystal Beach. And under Charles Hayes, starting in 1896, Grand Trunk began a massive modernisation project and replaced many older stations. The Bertie Station would be among the first stations to be replaced. The new 1900 station now carried the name Ridgeway. Constructed in the style of Queen Anne Revival with Picturesque elements. Keeping with the board and batten wooden construction to complete the new more giant station. The station would feature a larger general waiting room and baggage room with an exterior porte-cochère to shelter passengers as they arrived and departed from the station. The interior would be richly ornamented with stained glass windows in the waiting room, along with excellent lighting and heat: a station master's office, ticket window and telegraph operator bay. A tower would also provide better views of the tracks running in either direction. The station again offered assistance to the town in 1913 when a fire threatened the community; a Grand Trunk operator telegraphed for additional water, which arrived in time to save both the town and station from destruction. Canadian National would take over operations in 1923 and continue to run passenger and freight services; the station would receive a railroad red paint job in the mid-century. Passenger services ceased in 1970 as traffic dwindled on the line.

The park Pavillion in Ridgeway where the station originally sat.
Mamiya m645 - Mamiya-Sekor C 35mm 1:3.5 N - Ilford FP4+ @ ASA-100 - Kodak D-23 (Stock) 6:00 @ 20CMembers of the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry XIIIth Battalion Ceremonial Guard who dress and portray as members of the Canadian Militia force that fought at Ridgeway.
Sony a6000 + Sony E PZ 16-50mm 1:3.5-5.6 OSS

When Canadian National began planning to remove the old right-of-way, the town of Fort Erie, wishing to preserve local railway heritage, purchased the station from Canadian National in 1974. Then carefully remove the station from its original location in Ridgeway and moved it several kilometres away to the new Fort Erie Railway Museum. After several years of restoration efforts, the station reopened along with size Canadian National Locomotive 6218, a 4-8-4 "Northern" type locomotive. The restoration saw the removal of the red paint and repaint in a white with green paint colour scheme. The interior and exterior features were cleaned and restored, including a Canadian National era semaphore single tower. Inside the station became the main exhibit space for the museum. By 1985, Canadian National had abandoned and removed the tracks between Fort Erie and Caledonia on the original Buffalo & Lake Huron line; some sections remain in operation today. The line now forms a multi-use trail known as Friendship Trail. In the town of Ridgeway, a pavilion was constructed near where the two original stations once stood.

#afadedglory #battleofridgeway #buffalolakehuronrailway #canada #canadianhistory #canadiannationalrailway #crowngraphic #forterie #forterierailwaymuseum #grandtrunkrailway #history #ilfordfp4 #ilfordhp5 #infrastruture #kodakd23 #mamiyam645 #nikond750 #ontario #pyrocathd #railroard #railway #ridgeway #sonya6000 #trainstation

A Faded Glory - Ridgeway - Grand Trunk Railway (1900-1975)

The surprisingly large GTR station from Ridgeway is one of the few surviving rail stations in the region. It has served as a saviour to the town, a place for tourists, and the rail line is one of the earliest to serve as a troop transport by rail.

Alex Luyckx | Blog

A Faded Glory – Warren Street Shops – Canadian National Railway (1964-1982)

Sitting well outside of the two historical downtowns within the community of Fort Erie sits several lonely buildings and overgrown tracks. These small remains are left of what was once a massive railway yard that had existed since the earliest days of the railway in Fort Erie but is today a mere shadow.

The Warren Street shops, I should have moved further back and used a longer lens.
Graflex Crown Graphic - Fuji Fujinon-W 1:5.6/125 - Ilford HP5+ @ ASA-200 - Pyrocat-HD (1+1+100) 9:00 @ 20C

The Buffalo & Lake Huron Railway saw inception as a means to provide railway access to the people of Buffalo, Brantford and Goderich; the railways two main terminuses were Fort Erie and Goderich, where cars would be loaded onto massive rail ferries to be floating to destinations across bodies of water, at Fort Erie that was Black Rock in Buffalo. But as I mentioned in a previous entry, railway ferries were slow and had limited space, and at Fort Erie, only the International serviced the Buffalo & Lake Huron line. A large marshalling yard had to be purchased and constructed to maintain their trains, manage traffic, conduct maintenance, and store and shunt cars. Located outside the town of Fort Erie, these yards would form the core of the Buffalo & Lake Huron railway yards. Here trains would arrive and road locomotives stored and maintained in engine houses, roundhouses and a turntable, while shunting locomotives moved the cars to and from the ferry docks at the end of Bertie Street. Grand Trunk continued to operate the yards when they took over the entire Buffalo & Lake Huron network in 1864. From these yards, Grand Trunk employees sent out warning messages in July 1866 of the invading Fenians. They ensured that the trains and the International were sent out of reach and used by the Irish-American invaders. In 1873 with the completion of the International Railway Bridge, Grand Trunk saw a resurgence in the use of the Fort Erie Yards. While they had their primary motive power shops in Stratford to maintain their locomotive fleet, Fort Erie's tracks were realigned to serve the new railway bridge and passenger stations in the new community of Bridgeburg. At the Fort Erie yards, more tracks were added to allow for storage and traffic control over the bridge and conduct maintenance on cars and locomotives travelling to and from the United States. By 1903 the Fort Erie or Warren Street Yards were the third-largest railway yards operated by Grand Trunk and directly affected the growth of both Bridgeburg and Fort Erie, providing several jobs for the surrounding area. By 1923 Canadian National had taken over operations at Warren Street.

You can still see the years of neglect in the Warren Shops.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8DOne of the smaller doors, probably to house a small switcher or maintenance vehicle.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8D

One of the earliest uses of diesel-electric power on Canadian rails came in the form of yard switchers in the 1930s; these were small and less powerful than the massive Northern, Mountain, and Pacific type steam locomotives that drove the trains across the main road lines. These early switchers would have found a great deal of work at the Warren Street Yards, but by the 1950s, road-switchers were starting to take over the work of steam locomotives. Desiel motive power required a different type of maintenance facility. By the end of the 1950s, Canadian National began constructing new garages at Warren Street to support their diesel locomotives that now operated across the International Railway Bridge. Rather than keep all the original Grand Trunk buildings, Canadian National would, in the 1960s, begin the demolition of older steam-centred maintenance and storage buildings at Warren Street. Instead, Canadian National would open a new diesel maintenance garage in 1964, known as the Warren Street Shops. Many of the employees would arrive from Stratford as the Motive Power shops there closed that same year. The new shops were far smaller than previous maintenance buildings, with most of the yard continuing to be used as a traffic marshalling yard. Thankfully, the new shops maintained a workforce of four hundred and could conduction regular repairs and overhauls of most diesel-electric locomotives and switchers being used by Canadian National. These include the GP7 and GP9 road-switchers, SW1200 switchers, and many others. However, a decade after opening, Canadian National announced in 1977 that it would begin to move operations across the river to Black Rock. Operations would slowly wind down starting in 1978, and some employees were relocated to larger Canadian National Yards out in Western Canada. The final train would roll out of Warren Street in 1989, and the location shut its doors.

Refueling towers for the D-E locomotives that operated here.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8DOne of the museum's rolling stock, a small locomotive that once served at the INCO facitilies in the area, probably Welland.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8D

Canadian National would begin a systematic demolition of all but two buildings and start pulling up tracks. They also parcelled off the yard and sold it to local businesses, one of the largest being a scrapyard. The once large yard was cut to a fraction of its original size as some trackage was required for cross-bridge traffic. Because the railroad had been a huge employer, many soon found themselves out of work and drove the area into a depression, but it also drove many to seek a way to preserve the area's rich railway heritage. The Niagara Railway Museum was the brainchild of Ken Jones Jr, who started collecting pieces of local railway history in 1994 and incorporated the museum two years later. Like any museum, first starting, they did not have a permanent home, and the collection was spread out across the member's homes and storage units. And it was not small pieces; they had also acquired rolling stock from boxcars to switcher units, even a snowplough. They would need to locate a home quickly or risk losing their work. In 2010 they signed a lease agreement on the Warren Street Shop, but it had sat unused for near four decades. During that time, even I had attempted to gain access to the building, but it had been recently resealed, but I had seen photos from inside from other urban explorers. Although today, near two decades later, the museum remains in operation and offers limited access to the Warren Street Shops. The folks behind the museum have done an amazing job and are still looking for any artefacts related to the railroad in Fort Erie items before the closure of the shops. You can check the location out; it is best to go on a weekend with volunteers present, and always make sure to ask before going onto the property.

#afadedglory #bridgeburg #buffalolakehuronrailway #canada #canadiannationalrailway #crowngraphic #forterie #grandtrunkrailway #ilfordhp5 #infrastruture #nikond750 #ontario #pyrocathd #railroad #railway #repair #shops #warrenstreetshops

A Faded Glory - Warren Street Shops - Canadian National Railway (1964-1982)

Sitting in a rather out of the way spot in the community of Fort Erie, an abandoned brick building with little in the way of ornamentation from the era of function over form, is the final structure of a once-massive yard.

Alex Luyckx | Blog

A Faded Glory – International Railway Bridge – Grand Trunk Railway (1873-Present)

The Niagara River has never been the easiest obstacle to navigate in Ontario, the main reasons being the current, the falls, and the gorge. Bridges were neither cheap nor easy to build but possible. The easiest means to get trains across the river were through the use of rail ferries. Steamships were designed to carry large numbers of cars, but the process was slow, bottlenecked the line, and there was also the tendency for ships to sink or get caught in the current and swept away.

While the decking and trusses are not original, the piers date back to 1873.
Graflex Crown Graphic - Fuji Fujinon-W 1:5.6/125 - Ilford HP5+ @ ASA-200 - Pyrocat-HD (1+1+100) 9:00 @ 20C

All major operators initially used rail ferries, while Buffalo & Lake Huron had the easiest route between Fort Erie and Buffalo. With their line's terminus at Niagara Falls, Great Western Railway required rerouting the train to Queenston for loading and unloading. So they were one of the first to start planning a railway bridge. But Great Western wasn't planning any railway bridge; they aimed to build a suspension bridge. Working with William Hamilton Merritt, the bridge opened to traffic in 1855, supporting two levels, one for a single railway track and a second for foot and carriage traffic. When it opened, it was not only Canada's first but the world's first railway suspension bridge. The suspension wires were supported by four twenty-seven meter tall Egyptian inspired pillars, work being done by a young Scottish stonemason William Henderson. But above the falls, the Buffalo & Lake Huron Railway continued to use the rail ferry International but had planned by 1856 for their own bridge between Fort Erie and Black Rock. But having no real financial stability, the plans remained on paper. As Grand Trunk began to take on more operational control over Buffalo & Lake Huron, the new operator furthered plans. Grand Trunk had completed their first rail bridge over the Grafraxa River in Port Hope and their biggest bridge, the Victoria Bridge in Montreal, over the St. Lawerence River in 1860. By 1864 representatives of New York State and the Province of Canada signed an agreement to have a bridge completed between Fort Erie and Black Rock. When the American Civil War opened, the plans were shelved and remained that way in the serious dip in Anglo-American relations during and following the war. The Fenian Raids of 1866 did not help matters either. The International being requested by the Canadian Militia as an armed gunboat and a means to move troops by the Fenians. It remained safely in the middle of the river, refusing to move, having been ordered to stay put by Grand Trunk employees.

A bit more closer detail on the 1873 piers.
Nikon D750 - AF Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4DA memorial to Light Vessel 82, lost in a storm in 1913 showing the power of the Great Lakes and the Niagara River.
Nikon D300 - AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm 1:2.8G

Thankfully the relations warmed by the end of the decade, and plans were again coming together. In 1870, the Canadian Bridge Company and American Bridge Company chartered the International Bridge Company to construct the proposed bridge. C.S. Gzowski & Co. won the contract from International Bridge to complete the main piers and final assembly construction. At the same time, the bridge steel and sections went to Phoenix Iron Works in Pennsylvania. The bridge would span the shortest section of the river but far from ideal. At this point, the river depth stood at fourteen meters, and the current flowed at nineteen kilometres per hour. The continued damage from ice broke away from Lake Erie and flowed down to Niagara Falls that could prove dangerous to the piers. Construction began in 1871 with dredging three metres of gravel from the river bed. The eight piers that secured the bridge across the river were constructed from locally quarried limestone and designed to break up ice flows rather than have them dashed against them. Phoenix Ironworks constructed the bridge portions in twelve sections using a standard Baldwin Truss pattern. Each section was floating in, raised on special pontoons and secured in place. While the Canadian side of the bridge was fixed, the American side featured two swing sections. The sections were around Unity Island, allowing ships to still access the harbours at Black Rock and Buffalo. A single railway track crossed the bridge, and a separate section allowed for pedestrian traffic. During the construction, not a single life was lost, or the accident delayed the effort. When the bridge was completed, it had cost 1.5 million dollars and spanned 1113 metres. And railway traffic stood ready to make use of the new bridge when it opened on the 3rd of November 1873; present at the ceremony were Grand Trunk President Richard Potter and Internation Bridge Co-President Matthew Brydges. While Grand Trunk trains used the bridge without trouble, all other operators had to pay a fee at a dollar per car. While most operators had no issues paying the toll rather than spend the money needed to build their own bridge, Canadian Southern sued Grand Trunk.

To the left the Whirlpool Bridge and the right the MCR bridge, today only the Whirlpool bridge operates as it replaced the original Niagara Suspension Bridge.
Mamiya m645 - Mamiya-Sekor C 45mm 1:2.8 N - Ilford FP4+ @ ASA-100 - Kodak D-23 (Stock) 6:00 @ 20CThe ruins of the Curtis-Wright Factory, once a major part of the industrial hotbed of Black Rock where the Bridge terminated.
Pentax 645 - SMC Pentax A 645 35mm 1:3.5 - Kodak Tri-X 400 @ ASA-400 - Kodak HC-110 Dil. B 7:30 @ 20C

As the popularity of the railway increased, the need for larger bridges became obvious, and bridges with a single track across them were becoming obsolete. Grand Trunk completed a new bridge in 1897, the Whirlpool Bridge, to replace the original Niagara Suspension Bridge. And in 1900, the International Railway Bridge was revamped, removing the original bridge sections and replacing them with one that supported two tracks at the cost of the pedestrian walkway. Three years later, baseball player Ed Delany who had been removed from a train for being drunk, attempted to cross the bridge on foot, dying. While always a busy crossing, the busiest day of the bridge took place on the 10th of July 1916 when 264 trains crossed the bridge. Canadian National took over operations on the bridge in 1923 when Grand Trunk Railway was absorbed into the new company. In 1929, Michigan Central, which was now in complete control of Canadian Southern, completed their own bridge at Niagara Falls. Passenger services across the bridge dwindled with the final Canadian National Passenger train crossing in 1934. The Americans disabled one of the swing sections on their bridge in 1941. The bridge had spent a great deal of its operational life without closure, at least until 1993. Canadian National was forced to close the bridge due to emergency repairs to several of the support piers, which were still original to 1873; the repairs cost two million but ensured the continued use of the bridge. Further updates to the bridge decking took place in 2000. Today, the International Railway Bridge remains the oldest operational railway bridge in Ontario, far from the original. Its construction pre-dates many of the original bridges constructed by the Canadian Pacific through the Rockies. Many of the older Grand Trunk Bridges have been either totally replaced or modified far beyond the original to be considered original. It is also one of two operational railway bridges across the Niagara River, the 1897 Whirlpool Bridge as the Michigan Central bridge shut down in 2001. On average, the bridge sees fifteen trains daily crossing.

#afadedglory #blackrock #bridgeburg #buffalo #canada #canadianhistory #canadiannationalrailway #crowngraphic #forterie #grandtrunkrailway #ilfordhp5 #infrastruture #internationalrailwaybridge #kodakhc110 #kodaktrix400 #newyork #nikond750 #ontario #pentax645 #pyrocathd #railroad #railway #usa

A Faded Glory - International Railway Bridge - Grand Trunk Railway (1873-Present)

While not the first railway bridge across the Niagara River, the International Railway Bridge is Ontario's oldest continuously operated bridge.

Alex Luyckx | Blog

A Faded Glory – Bridgeburg B-1 – Grand Trunk Railway (1873-1975)

While there are certain stations out there with more interesting histories and stories that go along with them, others have simply done their job and then been disposed of. Oftentimes, that is with a demolition, which has resulted in the loss of many stations across Ontario. And the small community of Bridgeburg has lost a great many stations.

It is great to see that at least one station from the Bridgeburg area was salvaged.
Graflex Crown Graphic - Nikon Nikkor-W 1:5.6/180 - Ilford HP5+ @ ASA-200 - Pyrocat-HD (1+1+100) 9:00 @ 20C

Do not worry if you haven't heard of the community of Bridgeburg. The community owes its existence to the International Railway Bridge, which opened to traffic in 1873. The community's name has changed a few times before being absorbed into Fort Erie by the 1970s; it has been Victoria, International Bridge, and finally Bridgeburg. The small community flourished and would overtake nearby Fort Erie, with the railroad being the main focus for the community's economy. With three railroad operators using the International Railway Bridge, the town had three railway stations in the town proper to serve passengers. Grand Trunk having the main passenger station with Canadian Southern and eventually Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo, both operating stations in Bridgeburg. These three stations were all located along Courtwright Street. Over the course of the history of passenger services across the bridge, these stations were replaced at least once, especially in the massive efforts to modernize railway services in Ontario that took place in the early 20th Century. Sadly none of these stations survived in any form, and most were demolished by the 1970s and 1980s.

In case you did not know what the station was for.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8DThe beautiful buff brick is something that many stations stopped using in the 20th Century.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8D

But one station did survive, known as B-1, or Bridgeburg B-1. The B-1 station opened at the same time as the International Railway Bridge in 1873. The station is located next to the bridge's Canadian entrance sitting on the berm above Niagara Blvd. It is unique in several ways for a railway station of its day. First of all, it did little in passenger service for the first part of its life, mainly for traffic and customs control along with toll collection for non-Grand Trunk trains driving over the bridge. Combined with its partner station in Black Rock, known as B-2, it acted to control traffic over the bridge in the early days with only a single track on the bridge that could ensure that trains would not fatally collide head-on. The second unique part of B-1 is that it is constructed in the Gothic Revival architectural style. At the same time, Grand Trunk did not use the Gothic Revival much in their station designs, having only built one in Woodstock under the Great Western name. Internally the station featured a station master and telegraph operator office, a small waiting area, and a ticket window. Canadian National would take over operations at the B-1 and B-2 stations in 1923, seeing the advantage of having dedicated traffic control points for either side of the bridge. B-1 would receive a railroad red paint job in the mid-century like many other Canadian National Stations.

The International Railway bridge, the sole reason for the B-1 station.
Nikon D750 - AF Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4DCN 6218 a Class U-2-g 4-8-4 Locomotive may have passed by B-1 many times.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8D

By 1980 most stations in Bridgeburg were gone, with only B-1 sitting next to the bridge and looking worse for wear. By this point, most yard operations had been moved from the Warren Street Yard to Black Rock. The need for keeping B-1 staffed was no longer important. The station itself was looking much worse for wear giving it was now over one hundred years old. The Fort Erie Railway Museum expressed an interest in saving the station rather than seeing the last surviving Bridgeburg station fall to the wrecking ball as all the other ones had. The old Michigan Central Station was last to fall in 1981. Canadian National was more than happy to sell the old station to Fort Erie for 1.25. Using extreme caution, the station was separated from its original foundation, then used a series of jacks and cribs to lift the station onto a railway flatbed, taken down the tracks to Central Avenue, loaded onto a truck and placed on a prepared foundation at the museum. The station was then repaired and restored. The architectural details were repaired and replaced with the red paint stripped to reveal the original yellow brick. Today the station remains at the museum along with a CN Locomotive, the Ridgeway Station and is used as the museum's gift shop. It should be noted that B-1's partner, B-2 remains in place as is a part of the still-active CN yard at Black Rock in Buffalo, New York.

#afadedglory #bridgeburg #bridgeburgb1 #canada #canadianhistory #canadiannationalrailway #crowngraphic #forterie #forterierailwaymuseum #grandtrunkrailway #ilfordhp5 #nikond750 #ontario #pyrocathd #railroad #railway

A Faded Glory - Bridgeburg B-1 - Grand Trunk Railway (1873-1975)

A small Gothic Revival station that once controlled a busy railway bridge and was the final station to serve the small community of Bridgeburg, Ontario.

Alex Luyckx | Blog

A Faded Glory – Bridgeburg B-1 – Grand Trunk Railway (1873-1975)

While there are certain stations out there with more interesting histories and stories that go along with them, others have simply done their job and then been disposed of. Oftentimes, that is with a demolition, which has resulted in the loss of many stations across Ontario. And the small community of Bridgeburg has lost a great many stations.

It is great to see that at least one station from the Bridgeburg area was salvaged.
Graflex Crown Graphic - Nikon Nikkor-W 1:5.6/180 - Ilford HP5+ @ ASA-200 - Pyrocat-HD (1+1+100) 9:00 @ 20C

Do not worry if you haven't heard of the community of Bridgeburg. The community owes its existence to the International Railway Bridge, which opened to traffic in 1873. The community's name has changed a few times before being absorbed into Fort Erie by the 1970s; it has been Victoria, International Bridge, and finally Bridgeburg. The small community flourished and would overtake nearby Fort Erie, with the railroad being the main focus for the community's economy. With three railroad operators using the International Railway Bridge, the town had three railway stations in the town proper to serve passengers. Grand Trunk having the main passenger station with Canadian Southern and eventually Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo, both operating stations in Bridgeburg. These three stations were all located along Courtwright Street. Over the course of the history of passenger services across the bridge, these stations were replaced at least once, especially in the massive efforts to modernize railway services in Ontario that took place in the early 20th Century. Sadly none of these stations survived in any form, and most were demolished by the 1970s and 1980s.

In case you did not know what the station was for.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8DThe beautiful buff brick is something that many stations stopped using in the 20th Century.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8D

But one station did survive, known as B-1, or Bridgeburg B-1. The B-1 station opened at the same time as the International Railway Bridge in 1873. The station is located next to the bridge's Canadian entrance sitting on the berm above Niagara Blvd. It is unique in several ways for a railway station of its day. First of all, it did little in passenger service for the first part of its life, mainly for traffic and customs control along with toll collection for non-Grand Trunk trains driving over the bridge. Combined with its partner station in Black Rock, known as B-2, it acted to control traffic over the bridge in the early days with only a single track on the bridge that could ensure that trains would not fatally collide head-on. The second unique part of B-1 is that it is constructed in the Gothic Revival architectural style. At the same time, Grand Trunk did not use the Gothic Revival much in their station designs, having only built one in Woodstock under the Great Western name. Internally the station featured a station master and telegraph operator office, a small waiting area, and a ticket window. Canadian National would take over operations at the B-1 and B-2 stations in 1923, seeing the advantage of having dedicated traffic control points for either side of the bridge. B-1 would receive a railroad red paint job in the mid-century like many other Canadian National Stations.

The International Railway bridge, the sole reason for the B-1 station.
Nikon D750 - AF Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4DCN 6218 a Class U-2-g 4-8-4 Locomotive may have passed by B-1 many times.
Nikon D750 - AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm 1:2.8D

By 1980 most stations in Bridgeburg were gone, with only B-1 sitting next to the bridge and looking worse for wear. By this point, most yard operations had been moved from the Warren Street Yard to Black Rock. The need for keeping B-1 staffed was no longer important. The station itself was looking much worse for wear giving it was now over one hundred years old. The Fort Erie Railway Museum expressed an interest in saving the station rather than seeing the last surviving Bridgeburg station fall to the wrecking ball as all the other ones had. The old Michigan Central Station was last to fall in 1981. Canadian National was more than happy to sell the old station to Fort Erie for 1.25. Using extreme caution, the station was separated from its original foundation, then used a series of jacks and cribs to lift the station onto a railway flatbed, taken down the tracks to Central Avenue, loaded onto a truck and placed on a prepared foundation at the museum. The station was then repaired and restored. The architectural details were repaired and replaced with the red paint stripped to reveal the original yellow brick. Today the station remains at the museum along with a CN Locomotive, the Ridgeway Station and is used as the museum's gift shop. It should be noted that B-1's partner, B-2 remains in place as is a part of the still-active CN yard at Black Rock in Buffalo, New York.

#afadedglory #bridgeburg #bridgeburgb1 #canada #canadianhistory #canadiannationalrailway #crowngraphic #forterie #forterierailwaymuseum #grandtrunkrailway #ilfordhp5 #nikond750 #ontario #pyrocathd #railroad #railway

A Faded Glory - Bridgeburg B-1 - Grand Trunk Railway (1873-1975)

A small Gothic Revival station that once controlled a busy railway bridge and was the final station to serve the small community of Bridgeburg, Ontario.

Alex Luyckx | Blog

A Faded Glory – International Railway Bridge – Grand Trunk Railway (1873-Present)

The Niagara River has never been the easiest obstacle to navigate in Ontario, the main reasons being the current, the falls, and the gorge. Bridges were neither cheap nor easy to build but possible. The easiest means to get trains across the river were through the use of rail ferries. Steamships were designed to carry large numbers of cars, but the process was slow, bottlenecked the line, and there was also the tendency for ships to sink or get caught in the current and swept away.

While the decking and trusses are not original, the piers date back to 1873.
Graflex Crown Graphic - Fuji Fujinon-W 1:5.6/125 - Ilford HP5+ @ ASA-200 - Pyrocat-HD (1+1+100) 9:00 @ 20C

All major operators initially used rail ferries, while Buffalo & Lake Huron had the easiest route between Fort Erie and Buffalo. With their line's terminus at Niagara Falls, Great Western Railway required rerouting the train to Queenston for loading and unloading. So they were one of the first to start planning a railway bridge. But Great Western wasn't planning any railway bridge; they aimed to build a suspension bridge. Working with William Hamilton Merritt, the bridge opened to traffic in 1855, supporting two levels, one for a single railway track and a second for foot and carriage traffic. When it opened, it was not only Canada's first but the world's first railway suspension bridge. The suspension wires were supported by four twenty-seven meter tall Egyptian inspired pillars, work being done by a young Scottish stonemason William Henderson. But above the falls, the Buffalo & Lake Huron Railway continued to use the rail ferry International but had planned by 1856 for their own bridge between Fort Erie and Black Rock. But having no real financial stability, the plans remained on paper. As Grand Trunk began to take on more operational control over Buffalo & Lake Huron, the new operator furthered plans. Grand Trunk had completed their first rail bridge over the Grafraxa River in Port Hope and their biggest bridge, the Victoria Bridge in Montreal, over the St. Lawerence River in 1860. By 1864 representatives of New York State and the Province of Canada signed an agreement to have a bridge completed between Fort Erie and Black Rock. When the American Civil War opened, the plans were shelved and remained that way in the serious dip in Anglo-American relations during and following the war. The Fenian Raids of 1866 did not help matters either. The International being requested by the Canadian Militia as an armed gunboat and a means to move troops by the Fenians. It remained safely in the middle of the river, refusing to move, having been ordered to stay put by Grand Trunk employees.

A bit more closer detail on the 1873 piers.
Nikon D750 - AF Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4DA memorial to Light Vessel 82, lost in a storm in 1913 showing the power of the Great Lakes and the Niagara River.
Nikon D300 - AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm 1:2.8G

Thankfully the relations warmed by the end of the decade, and plans were again coming together. In 1870, the Canadian Bridge Company and American Bridge Company chartered the International Bridge Company to construct the proposed bridge. C.S. Gzowski & Co. won the contract from International Bridge to complete the main piers and final assembly construction. At the same time, the bridge steel and sections went to Phoenix Iron Works in Pennsylvania. The bridge would span the shortest section of the river but far from ideal. At this point, the river depth stood at fourteen meters, and the current flowed at nineteen kilometres per hour. The continued damage from ice broke away from Lake Erie and flowed down to Niagara Falls that could prove dangerous to the piers. Construction began in 1871 with dredging three metres of gravel from the river bed. The eight piers that secured the bridge across the river were constructed from locally quarried limestone and designed to break up ice flows rather than have them dashed against them. Phoenix Ironworks constructed the bridge portions in twelve sections using a standard Baldwin Truss pattern. Each section was floating in, raised on special pontoons and secured in place. While the Canadian side of the bridge was fixed, the American side featured two swing sections. The sections were around Unity Island, allowing ships to still access the harbours at Black Rock and Buffalo. A single railway track crossed the bridge, and a separate section allowed for pedestrian traffic. During the construction, not a single life was lost, or the accident delayed the effort. When the bridge was completed, it had cost 1.5 million dollars and spanned 1113 metres. And railway traffic stood ready to make use of the new bridge when it opened on the 3rd of November 1873; present at the ceremony were Grand Trunk President Richard Potter and Internation Bridge Co-President Matthew Brydges. While Grand Trunk trains used the bridge without trouble, all other operators had to pay a fee at a dollar per car. While most operators had no issues paying the toll rather than spend the money needed to build their own bridge, Canadian Southern sued Grand Trunk.

To the left the Whirlpool Bridge and the right the MCR bridge, today only the Whirlpool bridge operates as it replaced the original Niagara Suspension Bridge.
Mamiya m645 - Mamiya-Sekor C 45mm 1:2.8 N - Ilford FP4+ @ ASA-100 - Kodak D-23 (Stock) 6:00 @ 20CThe ruins of the Curtis-Wright Factory, once a major part of the industrial hotbed of Black Rock where the Bridge terminated.
Pentax 645 - SMC Pentax A 645 35mm 1:3.5 - Kodak Tri-X 400 @ ASA-400 - Kodak HC-110 Dil. B 7:30 @ 20C

As the popularity of the railway increased, the need for larger bridges became obvious, and bridges with a single track across them were becoming obsolete. Grand Trunk completed a new bridge in 1897, the Whirlpool Bridge, to replace the original Niagara Suspension Bridge. And in 1900, the International Railway Bridge was revamped, removing the original bridge sections and replacing them with one that supported two tracks at the cost of the pedestrian walkway. Three years later, baseball player Ed Delany who had been removed from a train for being drunk, attempted to cross the bridge on foot, dying. While always a busy crossing, the busiest day of the bridge took place on the 10th of July 1916 when 264 trains crossed the bridge. Canadian National took over operations on the bridge in 1923 when Grand Trunk Railway was absorbed into the new company. In 1929, Michigan Central, which was now in complete control of Canadian Southern, completed their own bridge at Niagara Falls. Passenger services across the bridge dwindled with the final Canadian National Passenger train crossing in 1934. The Americans disabled one of the swing sections on their bridge in 1941. The bridge had spent a great deal of its operational life without closure, at least until 1993. Canadian National was forced to close the bridge due to emergency repairs to several of the support piers, which were still original to 1873; the repairs cost two million but ensured the continued use of the bridge. Further updates to the bridge decking took place in 2000. Today, the International Railway Bridge remains the oldest operational railway bridge in Ontario, far from the original. Its construction pre-dates many of the original bridges constructed by the Canadian Pacific through the Rockies. Many of the older Grand Trunk Bridges have been either totally replaced or modified far beyond the original to be considered original. It is also one of two operational railway bridges across the Niagara River, the 1897 Whirlpool Bridge as the Michigan Central bridge shut down in 2001. On average, the bridge sees fifteen trains daily crossing.

#afadedglory #blackrock #bridgeburg #buffalo #canada #canadianhistory #canadiannationalrailway #crowngraphic #forterie #grandtrunkrailway #ilfordhp5 #infrastruture #internationalrailwaybridge #kodakhc110 #kodaktrix400 #newyork #nikond750 #ontario #pentax645 #pyrocathd #railroad #railway #usa

A Faded Glory - International Railway Bridge - Grand Trunk Railway (1873-Present)

While not the first railway bridge across the Niagara River, the International Railway Bridge is Ontario's oldest continuously operated bridge.

Alex Luyckx | Blog