Police Watchdog Probes Officers Over Fatal Wimbledon Crash Inquiry

Eleven Metropolitan Police officers are under investigation by the IOPC for their handling of the inquiry into a fatal crash that killed two schoolgirls in Wimbledon in July 2023.

#WimbledonCrash, #PoliceInvestigation, #IOPC, #FatalCollision, #JusticeForNuriaAndSelena

https://newsletter.tf/police-officers-investigated-wimbledon-crash-inquiry/

The number of police officers under investigation for the Wimbledon crash inquiry has risen to eleven. This is a significant increase, showing the seriousness of the concerns raised by the families.

#WimbledonCrash, #PoliceInvestigation, #IOPC, #FatalCollision, #JusticeForNuriaAndSelena
https://newsletter.tf/police-officers-investigated-wimbledon-crash-inquiry/

Police Officers Investigated After Fatal Wimbledon Crash Inquiry Flaws

Eleven Metropolitan Police officers are under investigation by the IOPC for their handling of the inquiry into a fatal crash that killed two schoolgirls in Wimbledon in July 2023.

NewsletterTF

Watchdog called in after armed police fire gun ‘not aimed at any individual’ in Milford Haven

Dyfed-Powys Police confirmed a single shot was fired on Saturday evening (March 28) following a call about disorder in the Bunkers Hill area of Milford Haven.

Officers were called to the scene at around 5.45pm after concerns were raised about an individual allegedly in possession of a knife.

Firearms officers were among those deployed as police moved to contain the situation.

A police spokesperson said that during the incident, at approximately 6.32pm, an officer discharged a single shot.

Dyfed Powys Police have stressed that the firearm was not aimed at any individual, and no injuries were reported.

The force say that a police presence remained in the area into the following day as enquiries continued.

The incident has now been referred to the watchdog, the Independent Office for Police Conduct, which will decide whether to launch an independent investigation.

Deputy Chief Constable Gary Phillips said an investigation is already underway.

He said:

“We have initiated a prompt investigation into the circumstances that led to the firearms being discharged, and have referred the incident to the Independent Office for Police Conduct.

“We will work with them as we continue to establish the circumstances leading up to the discharge.”

Police have not released further details about the individual involved in the reported disorder.

It is also not yet clear what led to the decision to discharge the weapon, although officers had been responding to reports involving a knife.

Incidents involving the discharge of police firearms are rare in Wales and are subject to strict oversight.

The watchdog will now assess the circumstances and determine the next steps in the investigation.

Dyfed Powys Police say that residents in the area may continue to see an increased police presence while enquiries are ongoing.

Related stories from Swansea Bay News

West Cross man arrested after imitation firearm incident
Armed police response after reports a weapon was brandished in a Swansea street.

160 guns handed in during police amnesty
Dozens of firearms taken off the streets as part of a major safety campaign. :contentReference[oaicite:0]{index=0}

Llanelli man charged after explosive device found
Residents evacuated as police deal with a serious firearms and explosives incident. :contentReference[oaicite:1]{index=1}

Shots fired near horses spark safety fears
Gunshots near a rural community leave residents shaken and raise safety concerns. :contentReference[oaicite:2]{index=2}

Wife and lover jailed after armed caravan ambush plot
Disturbing case sees weapons used in a planned attack uncovered by police. :contentReference[oaicite:3]{index=3}

Abergwynfi man admits weapons stash after major incident
Homes evacuated as officers uncover a cache of dangerous weapons in the valley. :contentReference[oaicite:4]{index=4}

#armedPolice #BunkersHill #DyfedPowysPolice #firearms #IndependentOfficeForPoliceConduct #IOPC #MilfordHaven

IOPC removes staff from investigation into Nottingham attacks killer after allegations of misconduct

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has removed several staff members from its investigation into Leicestershire Police officers who are under scrutiny following new evidence related to the Nottingham attacks. The case centers around Valdo Calocane, who had assaulted two people in May 2... [More info]

Ystalyfera police officer admits computer misuse but denies child image charges

PC Patrick Higgins, 30, of Gwent Police, appeared at Newport Crown Court where he denied three counts of making indecent images, including some in the most serious Category A.

He admitted three separate charges of unauthorised access to police computer systems between June 2023 and August 2024.

The alleged indecent image offences date back to April 2022. They are not connected to the police computer misuse charges.

Higgins was granted conditional bail with a nightly curfew. His trial is due to begin on 19 October 2026.

The case was investigated by Gwent Police’s Counter Corruption Unit under the direction of the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

At an earlier hearing in July, magistrates were told Higgins is accused of making dozens of indecent images across categories A, B and C.

#ChildAbuse #CounterCorruptionUnit #curfew #GwentPolice #indecentImages #IndependentOfficeForPoliceConduct #IOPC #NewportCrownCourt #policeComputerMisuse #Ystalyfera

What's the use of a police watchdog that will not even consider the possiblity of racial bias in a horrific case like this?

Actor Reece Richards condemns police watchdog over race decision on arrest | Independent Office for Police Conduct | The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2025/mar/30/actor-reece-richards-condemns-police-watchdog-over-race-decision-on-arrest

#ReeceRichards #MetropolitanPolice #Racism #Police #IndependentOffoceForPoliceConduct #IOPC #RacialBias

Actor Reece Richards condemns police watchdog over race decision on arrest

Sex Education actor criticises IOPC for refusing to consider race in investigation of officers who pepper-sprayed him

The Guardian
Police are ‘trivialising stalking’ and letting victims down as figures show one in five women are targeted

Police watchdogs have called for urgent reform and tougher laws to protect victims of stalking in 29 recommendations

The Independent

Woman cleared over ‘#coconut’ placard calls on #IOPC to investigate #Met

Exclusive: #MariehaHussain asks police watchdog to look into claim the force pursued a politicised case against her
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/sep/23/woman-cleared-over-coconut-placard-marieh-hussain-calls-on-iopc-to-investigate-met

Woman cleared over ‘coconut’ placard calls on IOPC to investigate Met

Exclusive: Marieha Hussain asks police watchdog to look into claim the force pursued a politicised case against her

The Guardian
@Lazarou Thete is no excuse whatsoever for ramming this calf. Not a cow, as has been reported. Whichever cop drove that car, and whomever gave the order to ram it must be expelled from #Surreypolice forthwith. If #IOPC does not force this outcome, it has no credibility, and will be seen as a police lackey. #animalcruelty #cops #police #Surreypolice #policebrutality
The Independent Office for Police Conduct (#IOPC) has started an investigation into complaints about #NottinghamshirePolice’s previous contact with #ValdoCalocane and their handling of the #murder investigation following the deaths of three people in Nottingham in June last year (2023). https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/news/iopc-investigate-nottinghamshire-police-contact-valdo-calocane-three-people-killed
#Police
IOPC to investigate Nottinghamshire Police contact with Valdo Calocane before three people killed | Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC)