1907 – Semi-detached Houses, Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal
Architect: Francis G. Townsend

Design for a pair of semi-detached houses, obviously intended for affluent owners with a servant. F.G. Townsend was a local engineer, who was born in Abersychan, Wales, in 1875 or 1876. He came to Ireland in the later 1890s, to
https://www.archiseek.com/1907-semi-detached-houses-ballyshannon-co-donegal/
#ArchitectureOfDonegal #UnbuiltIreland #1907 #Ballyshannon #CoDonegal #FrancisGTownsend

1907 – Semi-detached Houses, Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal | Archiseek.com

Architect: Francis G. Townsend Design for a pair of semi-detached houses, obviously intended for affluent owners with a servant. F.G. Townsend was a local engineer, who was born in Abersychan, Wales, in 1875 or 1876. He came to Ireland in the later 1890s, to work on the Buncrana to Carndonagh railway in Co. Donegal and

Archiseek.com | Irish architecture, lost & unbuilt buildings

1896 – Northern Bank, Dungloe, Co. Donegal
Architect: Godfrey W. Ferguson

Wonderfully eccentric bank branch from a time when so many branches were in fairly standard neo-classical, 5-bay or 3-bay design. Sadly demolished. Described by Alistair Rowan in 1979 as "The only build
https://www.archiseek.com/1896-northern-bank-dungloe-co-donegal/
#ArchitectureOfDonegal #LostBuildingsOfIreland #1896 #banks #CoDonegal #Dungloe #GodfreyWFerguson18551939 #LostDonegal #NorthernBankingCo

1896 – Northern Bank, Dungloe, Co. Donegal | Architecture @ Archiseek.com

Architect: Godfrey W. Ferguson Wonderfully eccentric bank branch from a time when so many branches were in fairly standard neo-classical, 5-bay or 3-bay design. Sadly demolished. Described by Alistair Rowan in 1979 as "The only building of any value in Dungloe, the Northern Bank office by the bridge, built in 1886 by G.W. Ferguson, has

Architecture @ Archiseek.com | Irish architecture, lost & unbuilt buildings

1964 – St. Patrick’s Church, Murlog, Lifford, Co. Donegal
Architect: Liam McCormick, Corr & McCormick

Liam McCormick designed a total of seven churches in Donegal between 1961 and 1977, of which this is the second and largest.
https://www.archiseek.com/1964-st-patricks-church-murlog-lifford-co-donegal/
#ArchitectureOfDonegal #1964 #churches #CoDonegal #CorrMcCormick #ImogenStuart19272024 #LiamMcCormick191696 #Lifford #NellM #PatrickMcElroy19232008 #PatrickPollen19282010

1964 – St. Patrick’s Church, Murlog, Lifford, Co. Donegal | Architecture @ Archiseek.com

Architect: Liam McCormick, Corr & McCormick Liam McCormick designed a total of seven churches in Donegal between 1961 and 1977, of which this is the second and largest. It shares several design features with the churches of his earlier period including the separate bell tower, shallow pitched roofs, mildly canted corners, and full-height windows lighting

Architecture @ Archiseek.com | Irish architecture, lost & unbuilt buildings

1877 – Former School, Falcarragh, Co. Donegal
Architect: O'Neill & Byrne

Originally part of a cluster of buildings by O'Neill & Byrne to include a church and a presbytery, only the former school remains today, and now in use as a local hall. Originally there was a central entrance porch on the eastern side, which would suggest that the
https://www.archiseek.com/1877-former-school-falcarragh-co-donegal/
#ArchitectureOfDonegal #1877 #CoDonegal #Falcarragh #ONeillByrne #schools

1877 – Former School, Falcarragh, Co. Donegal | Architecture @ Archiseek.com

Architect: O'Neill & Byrne Originally part of a cluster of buildings by O'Neill & Byrne to include a church and a presbytery, only the former school remains today, and now in use as a local hall. Originally there was a central entrance porch on the eastern side, which would suggest that the school probably had

Architecture @ Archiseek.com | Irish architecture, lost & unbuilt buildings

1971 – St Michael’s Church, Creeslough, Co. Donegal
Architect: Liam McCormick, Liam McCormick & Partners

The fifth in a series of seven churches McCormick designed in Donegal and was built between 1967 and 1971. It was the first built following his Church of St. Aengus at Burt and is considered on
https://www.archiseek.com/1971-st-michaels-church-creeslough-co-donegal/
#ArchitectureOfDonegal #1971 #churches #CoDonegal #Creeslough #LiamMcCormickPartners #LiamMcCormick191696

1971 – St Michael’s Church, Creeslough, Co. Donegal | Architecture @ Archiseek.com

Architect: Liam McCormick, Liam McCormick & Partners The fifth in a series of seven churches McCormick designed in Donegal and was built between 1967 and 1971. It was the first built following his Church of St. Aengus at Burt and is considered one of his most striking commissions. It has been described as one of

Architecture @ Archiseek.com | Irish architecture, lost & unbuilt buildings

1954 – Stella Maris Church, Rosguill, Co. Donegal
Architect: Brendan O’Connor

Designed to seat 300, this small modern church, on a remote site, was built in the Marian year of 1954. Designed on a tight budget of just 3,600, the exterior is finished with painted roughcast rendered walls and a projecting rubble sandstone pane
https://www.archiseek.com/1954-stella-maris-church-rosguill-co-donegal/
#ArchitectureOfDonegal #1954 #BrendanOConnor191186 #churches #CoDonegal #Rosguill

1954 – Stella Maris Church, Rosguill, Co. Donegal | Architecture @ Archiseek.com

Architect: Brendan O’Connor Designed to seat 300, this small modern church, on a remote site, was built in the Marian year of 1954. Designed on a tight budget of just 3,600, the exterior is finished with painted roughcast rendered walls and a projecting rubble sandstone panel to the centre of the south elevation. Brendan O’Connor

Architecture @ Archiseek.com | Irish architecture, lost & unbuilt buildings
1779 – Culdaff House, Moville, Co. Donegal
A three-storey Georgian house, of 1779, built for George Young. Probably replaced an earlier house in the area as Robert Young first arrived in 1640 as rector of Culdaff Parish. The Young family remained in ownership of the e
https://www.archiseek.com/2024/1779-culdaff-house-moville-co-donegal/
#ArchitectureOfDonegal #LostBuildingsOfIreland #1779 #1922BigHouseBurnings #CoDonegal #CountryHouses #DonegalCountryHouses #IrishCountryHouses #Moville
1779 – Culdaff House, Moville, Co. Donegal | Architecture @ Archiseek.com

A three-storey Georgian house, of 1779, built for George Young. Probably replaced an earlier house in the area as Robert Young first arrived in 1640 as rector of Culdaff Parish. The Young family remained in ownership of the estate until into the twentieth century. It was burnt out by the IRA in 1922, and rebuilt

Architecture @ Archiseek.com | Irish architecture, lost & unbuilt buildings

1950s – Meenaclady School, Co. Donegal
Architect: Basil Boyd Barrett, Office of Public Works

Fairly standard design from the Office of Public Works – a design in use from the 1930 through to the late 1950s - in this case a three classroom school. Usually overseen by Basil
https://www.archiseek.com/2024/1950s-meenaclady-school-co-donegal/
#ArchitectureOfDonegal #LostBuildingsOfIreland #BasilBoydBarrett190869 #BoardOfPublicWorksOfficeOfPublicWorks #CoDonegal #Meenaclady #schools

1950s – Meenaclady School, Co. Donegal | Architecture @ Archiseek.com

Architect: Basil Boyd Barrett, Office of Public Works Fairly standard design from the Office of Public Works – a design in use from the 1930 through to the late 1950s - in this case a three classroom school. Usually overseen by Basil Boyd Barrett who joined the OPW in 1934 and whose special area of

Architecture @ Archiseek.com | Irish architecture, lost & unbuilt buildings

1961 – St. Peter’s Church, Milford. Co. Donegal
Architect: Liam McCormick, Corr & McCormick

Construction began in July 1959 and was built and furnished at a cost of £28,000 to designs by the eminent architect Liam McCormick (1916-96), of the practice Corr & McCormick. Designed in a combination of traditional c
https://www.archiseek.com/2024/1961-st-peters-church-milford-co-donegal/
#ArchitectureOfDonegal #1961 #churches #CorrMcCormick #LiamMcCormick191696 #MilfordCoDonegal

1961 – St. Peter’s Church, Milford. Co. Donegal | Architecture @ Archiseek.com

Architect: Liam McCormick, Corr & McCormick Construction began in July 1959 and was built and furnished at a cost of £28,000 to designs by the eminent architect Liam McCormick (1916-96), of the practice Corr & McCormick. Designed in a combination of traditional church layout with a modern, contemporary style with the clean lines contrasting with

Architecture @ Archiseek.com | Irish architecture, lost & unbuilt buildings
1720s – Mountilly, Buncrana, Co. Donegal
George Vaughan built Buncrana Castle in 1718 on the original site of Buncrana village. Vaughan relocated the town to its present location, where he founded the present main street in 1718 and erected the Castle Bridge across the River Crana leading to his home. Mountilly was a four house terrace, each of two bay
https://www.archiseek.com/2024/1720s-mountilly-buncrana-co-donegal/
#ArchitectureOfDonegal #LostBuildingsOfIreland #Buncrana #CoDonegal
1720s – Mountilly, Buncrana, Co. Donegal

George Vaughan built Buncrana Castle in 1718 on the original site of Buncrana village. Vaughan relocated the town to its present location, where he founded the present main street in 1718 and erect…

Architecture @ Archiseek.com